Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Happy Birthday Stinky Feet!

Yesterday was a slack off today and today is the kid's birthday.  And since nobody wants to work on their birthday, the Planner and the Kid had another free day.  But this was a fun day.  Not one bit of work was done.



This day has been in the making for weeks and weeks.  The Kid has been counting down for months and months.  Seriously.  He started sometime after summer.  "Hey mumma, it's only three months till my B-Day!"  "Hey mumma, its only two months till my B-Day!" "Hey mumma, it's only two weeks till my B-Day!"  And on and on it went.  I was so tired of hearing about how many days, then how many hours it was until his birthday.


To his credit, I used to do the same thing to my mom every year.  Then I did the same thing to the Planner for the first 12 years.  After hitting the big 3-0, I could give two shits less about my birthday.  Oh yea, it's my birthday, great another year older, big whoop-dee-do.  Once the Kid was old enough to understand his birthday, I started celebrating his.  And let me tell you, I celebrate it to the fullest.  I even celebrate his half birthday.  On his half birthday, he only gets half a cake, or half of a cupcake, or half of sundae, half of whatever the treat is being served.  The other half is given away.


This year, was the first year he was aware this his birthday was coming and he lived up the moment.  He had his whole day planned. He knew what he was gonna do during the day (play all day and not do a lick of school work) and what his presents (remote control, rechargeable battery operated hovercraft or sailboat) were going to be.  He knew what he was going to have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.   In the past, only dinner was celebrated because everybody was gone during the day at work and school. Therefore dinner is kid choice.  No matter what he wants, he can have for dinner. Within reason.  I mean seriously, he can't have a bowl of sugar.  Jesh, even on your birthday there should be limits.


Of course, being a kid, he had what any kid would want. SUGAR!  So yes, we had sugar for dinner in the form of waffles.  What are waffles if they are not sugar.  Bread and syrup. Sugar and sugar.  Thank you to my friend for her the use of her well worn, well loved belguim waffle maker. They were so fantastic, that I forgot to take a picture of the waffles being consumed. 


Here's the thing about birthdays.  You never really get what you truly want.  Instead, you get what you get and you can't throw a fit.  Fortunately for kids, they are happy with most things received.  It's not like he just got new whitey-tideys.  Remember, this is the kid who went as a cardboard box for Halloween.  He was a happy camper with his gift results, even when he discovered that several gifts were delayed due to holiday backlog.  Delayed as in two weeks.


So while he did not get a remote control hovercraft, he did get a remote control, battery operated dune buggy.  There was also a toy Case tractor, some rope and carbine clips, and a few Lego minifigs.  And then there was the piece de' resistance: our friend, the Sailor, took him our for a day trip on his 23' sailboat.  I would say the kid had a pretty good birthday.


Happy Birthday, Stinky Feet!  And, no you cannot have a bigger sailboat for your birthday next year.  I'm just saying....