Monday, October 29, 2018

But Why the Boot?


Have you ever seen the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie?  The original movie, before Disney went crazy with sequels?  There is a scene where  Miss Elizabeth has left on an island and she burns the rum in order to be saved and Jack Sparrow keeps muttering about why the rum. That has been my line for the last three days.

WHY THE BOOT! Why!

After weeks and weeks, no maybe even months and months of rain, the last three days have been dry and I decided to air my boots out overnight as I frequently do during the summer.  I believe it helps warrant against foot funk.  No research to back that data up, but as I had foot funk only once, I will continue to do so until proven otherwise.  Besides, leaving a shoe outside doesn't hurt the shoe.  That is unless a near do well runs off with it.

Wednesday morning, thinking the Planner or the Kid came up with some agenda to drive me crazy I let it slide.  Thursday morning I was really wanting my shoe but was willing to hold out and win this crazy game they concocted.  Friday morning I was done.  I wanted to wear my shoes.  When asked about my missing shoe, they acted all innocent and charming.  "What, where is your shoe"  Yadda Yadda Yadda as so forth.  By Friday afternoon, I was beside myself with the missing shoe.

Well as it turns out, the near do well was not the Planner nor the Kid.  It was an honest to goodness true shoe theif.  Plan473 searched high and low, through thick and thin grasses, over and under all bushes and the shoe has yet to return.  Dammit!  What the heck am I supposed to do for a boot?  Can't be expected to wear mud boots until it is found.  Can't be expected to wear thin sided Chucks with standing water everywhere.  Can't be expected to wear flip-flops as its COLD outside.  Argh!

WHY THE BOOT?  Because it is easier to run off with a leather steel toe boot than it is with a rubber flip-flop?  Why the boot?  And I only wanted to air out the boots, jesh.  Now I am bootless.  It would have been better to steal both.  Just saying.


Like I said, the rain had finally stopped. By Friday, the sun was actually showing through the clouds.  Saturday morning dawned clear and cool.  What better way to spend the day than a bike ride! The Planner had bought a bike in the last month and had not been able to test it on long trips yet.  Well, yesterday was the day.  We rode and rode and rode.  The boys jumped curbs and raced and did boy stunts.  It was great!


Sunday, the air was a little chilly but the sun was out and the breeze was gentle. What better way to spend the day as with some competitive boat races.  The Planner and the Kid in one boat, a couple of other kid sailors in another boat, the coach and a new sailor in  another boat, and a couple of other boats with college sailors.  Having never been on this boat before, the Planner relied on the Kid for complete instructions and directions.  After a few moments of bickering, the two were off.

Sitting on the dock watching the races, my mind was reeling with all the things needing to be done at Plan473.  Work that can only be done with full sun and dry weather.  Grass needs cutting, trees need trimming, and chicken coop needs cleaning.  Shop box needs repainting and Kid Box needs to placed on framework.  However, I hear the squeals and giggles of boat races I try to tell myself sometimes a break is needed to spend time as a family. Yes, both the Planner and I work from home and the Kid schools from home.  But this structured time is not the same as spending free time together.  Time with no agenda, no time constraints, no requirements to fulfill.  The Kid turns 11 next month meaning is only a matter of moments until he will not want to spend time with us.  So yes, we took the whole weekend off and spent it doing nothing.  It was great!